Monday, August 4, 2014

"The way we talk to our children becomes their inner voice" -Peggy O'Mara

If you've read my other entries, you know that I am frequently inspired by movies. I'm sure I'm not alone but going to the theater or even watching movies at home, leaves me feeling motivated and energized to either recreate similar feelings I experienced while watching the movie or attempt to inspire someone else. In this case, a two-fold :) This week's inspiration comes from "The Help". I was overcome with emotion at the love that Aibileen, played by Viola Davis, had for the small girl that she looked after. She repeatedly spoke the words, "You is smart,  you is kind, you is important." You can see this small child crystalize these words in her brain and she is asked to repeat them back to Aibileen. Even though this child may be an actor, I'm positive those words had an impact on her.

Obviously this movie was way more complex than this one line, but my most recent time watching it, this line stuck out. Following watching the movie, I needed to go give my daughter her last bottle for the night. This includes pulling her out of the crib mid-sleep (I know you think I'm crazy) and popping the bottle in her mouth. It is my favorite time of the day/night that I spend with her. She is confused and takes a minute to get oriented but then realizes that she is in my arms and smiles with sleepy eyes. We slowly go to sit in the big comfy recliner rocking chair and she lays drinking her bottle. Those moments following is where my heart melts. She slowly pushes the bottle away and purses her lips with contentment as she is warm, full, and snuggling. Tonight as she was looking up at me, I decided to whisper, "You are smart, you are kind, you are important." As I finished these words, she slowly batted her eyes again at me and smiled.

I will continue to make this part of my evening routine if not include it multiple times throughout the day. I hope with every part of my being, that these words become a staple in my little girl's brain. I know that the words that she hears out of my mouth will become her inner voice and it is my job to make it a positive one.

I don't care if your child is 45, 4.5, or 4.5 months in utero. It is never too late or too early to begin developing your child's inner voice. I guarantee they need to hear it.

1 comment:

  1. This made me smile, then tear up because I haven't been the best inner voice for my children as of late. I will strive to be that person from now on. Thank you Kate! :-)
    Hug that little girl every chance you get!

    ReplyDelete